Friday, November 2, 2012

Stormy Thoughts



I started this blog to keep track of my garden (and now, my attempts to eat locally and with the seasons). But I feel a little odd posting about plants and food right now when so many people in New York and New Jersey are still without power, without hot water, without a hot meal. I've heard from all my friends up there, and some have gotten power back, but many haven't. Many of my friends have small kids, and they're going stir-crazy! They're stressed about their empty gas tanks and the long lines to fill up. One friend's parents are in Staten Island. They're OK, but their business is destroyed, and I'm not sure about their home. That poor borough is a mess. I used to live in NYC, and I worked in lower Manhattan in a building whose lobby is now totally flooded. I'm grateful that the storm did not negatively affect me at all, and I feel guilty too. I'm frustrated that I can't help my friends, I can't invite them to my house for a hot shower, to wash laundry, to have a hot meal. Similarly, I always feel bad when the Gulf Coast gets hit with hurricanes. I used to live in New Orleans also, and I was fortunate enough to move away before Katrina. But I have many friends who still live there and I still go back often to visit. Some parts of that city have recovered, but it took a long time. I think the NY metro area will recover faster. Those are some resilient people! We're heading to NY the week of Thanksgiving. The trip was planned a long time ago, but it will be more meaningful now as I will, hopefully, be able to see most of my friends in person. As we begin November and approach Thanksgiving, I want to remember to be grateful for things I often take for granted: electricity, the ability to take a hot shower with the lights on, clean hair, clean clothes, hot food, hot coffee, hot tea, no line at the gas station, a fully-charged cell phone, a warm house, my family and friends.

(sigh) Well this is getting heavy. I've got to lighten the mood, so here's a picture of my cute little cat.



Here's another happy Autumn thing: pumpkin butter....

 (click the pic or here for the recipe link)

Have a wonderful weekend, wherever you are!

12 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more...I am feeling the same. I think I've told you before that I grew up in the DC area. My parents are still there and I'm so thankful the area was largely spared the trauma from Sandy. But my heart aches for all those who are suffering. It sounds as though you have a lot of friends who are hurting. I'm sorry. I'm sure you being willing to listen and encourage them helps them immensely.

    Thanks for your comment earlier about the meme. It meant a lot to me that you remembered. In the aftermath of Sandy I find myself being so appreciative of life's luxuries. I know I take them for granted and the storm has been a reminder of how much I do that. I would like to focus on gratitude through November but don't know that I'll be able to post daily. Thanks for the nudge ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cat! Oh, no pressure at all on the meme, it's a lot to keep up with on top of other holiday prep. I was just thinking about being grateful for the little things too, and remembered it from last year.
    Your parents are OK then? I'm sure that's a huge relief. And thanks for your kind words. I know everyone will be OK, it'll just take a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that your friends are dealing with the Sandy mess. It has been hard to focus on much else for the past few days. I'm glad you're OK, and I hope NJ and NYC will receive lots of help and aid. I feel so sad--especially for the folks on the Jersey shore and the Breezy Point neighborhood in Queens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! I'm sure things will get cleaned up quickly. Parts of the city are up and moving and many people are helping those in the affected areas. And hopefully those hard-hit areas will be rebuilt quickly too.

      Delete
  4. It's frustrating and depressing to hear about all the suffering and feel helpless to make a real change. Giving your friends an ear to vent to is your best bet right now. It may not seem like much but it is since they're not venting to someone equally burdened by the same tragedy. They don't have to buck up and feel brave. They can express themselves authentically while you listen. It's worth more than it appears on the surface. Hang in there. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy, that is a good point about them being able to vent to someone who isn't in the situation. For everyone who only ran out of power, there are others who can't get back in their apartments for 3 weeks, etc. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  5. I know how you feel re the awful situation in NY and elsewhere,it's heartbreaking to think about it, especially those who have lost their lives. I couldn't imagine living without power for so long, it must be awful.
    My nephew is still without power but he is young and apart from being bored stiff playing board games, he is coping. It's the vulnerable in society that I worry about, hopefully they will get it sorted soon.xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you heard from your nephew! I hope he gets power soon, and I'm glad the worst of it is that he's just bored. :) Sounds like progress is being made, slowly.

      Delete
  6. I have lived near hurricane areas, but thankfully we always had relatives that we would drive to so we could eat, shower, etc. I feel for those that are stuck there, or have no one to help them. I hope your friends are o.k., and that things are back to mostly normal when you go to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they're fine, some have power back now, and one can't get back into her neighborhood for another 3 weeks, but things are getting better slowly. Living in hurricane areas is often a nuisance, but very scary when something actually happens!

      Delete
  7. It is hard to watch when we can't help...I have so many friends that are affected too. I can still send lots of good thoughts and wait for ways that maybe I can help...glad to hear you re OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna, positive thoughts have lots of power! I appreciate your comment. I hope your friends are OK and life gets back to normal for them soon.

      Delete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!