Friday, December 16, 2011

Farm Fresh Egg Mozzarella Sandwich

Last night's dinner was breakfast food. During this time of year there are so many holiday parties and team lunches that I often feel too full and/or sick to have dinner. I had gone to lunch with coworkers and ate so much that I wanted a light dinner. So I had a breakfast sandwich. It was made with these local ingredients: eggs, butter, mozzarella cheese, and spinach.

I recently found an excellent local source of mozzarella cheese and butter at my farmers' market. Blue Ridge Dairy makes mozzarella and butter on site. The butter was light in color and smelled so good. I thought it tasted a little peppery.  The cheese was very creamy, almost like burrata. It was so much better than any mozzarella I've ever bought at a grocery store. (See all those bottles with brownish liquid? I'm a salad dressing hoarder).

My eggs come from Sunpower Farm, a local farm (noted here).  Non-local ingredients include bread, milk, and salt and pepper. I got the rolls from Atwater Bakery. They use organic ingredients and try to buy locally when possible. I believe their primary flour source is in South Carolina, so that's outside the 150-mile parameter of a local meal. But I like that they buy from family-run farms, and the bread is good and fluffy. I used milk to scramble the eggs, and that was not from a local source either.

I added spinach from a local farm (via the farmers' market last weekend) for a little texture, and voila! My farm fresh egg and mozzarella sandwich!

3 comments:

  1. It looks delicious. It's hard not be overloaded with food at this time of the year. Your breakfast for dinner looks like a tasty alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are supporting the Local Farmers... I did a post back in the Spring about supporting the local farmer when I was in Michigan...

    Yum everything looks delicious!

    Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good mozzarella is an amazing thing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!