Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Dark Days of Winter: Apple Potato Hash

{apple-potato hash ingredients}


For my Eat Local challenge meals, I've been trying to think of ways to use the 5-pound bag of potatoes and tart apples I bought at the farmers' market a few weeks ago. I found this Rachael Ray recipe for an apple-potato hash. I thought the combination sounded a little odd at first, but then I thought fried potatoes = good. Fried apples = good. Butter = good. Here's my version of the recipe:

Local Apple Potato Hash 
3 small potatoes (via farmers' market)
1 apple (via farmers' market)
1/2 medium onion (via farmers' market)
1 teaspoon butter (Blue Ridge Dairy, VA)
2 teaspoons olive oil (exception to Challenge rules)
salt and pepper to taste (exceptions to Challenge rules)

I pricked the potatoes with a fork and cooked them in the microwave for 4 minutes. While the potatoes were cooking, I added the oil and butter to a pan on medium heat. Then I added the chopped up apples and onions and cooked these in the pan for 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes, I added the potatoes. They were soft from cooking in the microwave but not mushy. I cut the potatoes into cubes and added them to the pan. I seasoned them with salt and pepper to taste and let the whole hash cook for 5 more minutes. At this point the apples were quite brown and potatoes had nice crispy edges. I cut off the heat and served it up.

It tasted a lot better than I thought it would, and the combination of oil, butter, and potatoes made the house smell so good! I made this as a side for dinner, but I think it would work nicely as a breakfast dish too. 

9 comments:

  1. I love your decision making process, ingredients delicious - check! I have to say I understand why you would be dubious, I think I still am but I will give it a try, maybe at breakfast as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In PA we had a similar dish. It must have been a Pennsylvania Dutch recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bumble Lush, This is an interesting one -- I'm not sure about it, but will give it a try.
    Did you see my message for you on Botanical about visiting Longwood Gardens? P.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound good...will have to try that this weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious and I will have to give it a try...it does sound a bit German to me....

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great. I am hungry now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been experimenting with 'hash' recipes a lot last year: sprouts and beet, but I have to say, excited to try it with apples.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never tried this dish, but I can see how the two would go very well together. I have a half sack of potatoes that I was considering using in a potato soup, but this is also an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious. I am going to copy the recipe and try it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!