Thursday, February 23, 2012

Moon Gardening


Have you ever gardened by the moon? I don't mean gardening in the dark or by moonlight, but have you ever timed planting your seeds by the phases of the moon?

I have not, but I first read about this concept when looking through the Farmers' Almanac website. It seems that the phases of the moon affect moisture levels in the soil, so there are certain optimal dates for starting seeds. I've never done it and thought it was an interesting concept. Here's the link, if you're interested in reading more.

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting... But I don't think I have the patience to wait for moon to sow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it last year and didn't notice any difference. :( The only seeds I'm starting outside are my carrots and parsley. I'm planting the parsley in the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had heard about this but had never tried it since the last frost was more important...I am intrigued and will check it out...thx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heard about moon gaardening but never tried it. One of my garden friend swears by it. I just lack the disipline and the organizational ability to follow through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried, but had a hard time waiting for the right moon phase. I think I just need to plant when I can find the time, and take my chances!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Holley, I do it as I have time. If I had to wait for the moon and my schedules to sync, nothing would ever get done :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying lunar planting for the first time this year and find that it's helped me become more organised! I have a lovely calendar and hope that once the days are longer I'll be able to do more after work. Lovely blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!