Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pins, Potatoes, and Pruning

Have you heard of Pinterest? Are you on it? Pinterest is a website, basically an online bulletin board where you "pin" things from other websites onto your virtual bulletin boards. You can also repin things onto your boards that others people post. It's addictive but fun, and sometimes it's nicer than having a million bookmarks on your interest browser.

[Note: I'm not in any way affiliated with Pinterest. I just think it's fun and want to share my addiction with others. Besides, all the cool kids are doing it. ;)]

Source: bhg.com via Angela on Pinterest
{photo credit Better Homes and Gardens}

I have found a few interesting tips from doing a Garden search on Pinterest. This first link on What to Prune When is a calendar for when to prune different trees in the garden--very useful!



{photo credit from Organic Gardening}

The second link gives seven different tips for growing potatoes. I have never met a potato I didn't like, and I want so desperately to be able to grow them, but of course, I have no land. According to this site, I should be able to grow them in a big container, or even a garbage bag???



The only odd thing about Pinterest is that you need an invitation to join (kind of annoying, I know). If you're interested in joining, send me your email at bumblelushATyahoo.com and I'll email you back an invitation. If you're on Pinterest and you're interested, feel free to follow me by clicking this link, and leave a comment below with your handle so I can follow you too.

{Apparently I'm not the only garden blogger with Pinterest on the brain today--Hanni of Sweet Bean Gardening -- the person responsible for my Pinning addiction (thank you, Hanni! :) -- and Beth of Plant Postings also professed their love of Pinterest today. Great minds think alike, right ladies!}

9 comments:

  1. hahaha! the other addiction, oh gosh the useful stuff you discover on there is awesome though, great tips!! Cheers and happy pinning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you can grow potatoes in garbage bags or in old rice bags or even garden soil bags. You can add more soil as your plant grows and this will increase the number of potatoes you harvest. The best part about growing potatoes in bags is that you wont have to hurt any of your potatoes while shoveling it out of the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Julia--it's a pretty brilliant idea. Wish I'd thought of it myself!

    @Sri Ranjani--I want to try growing potatoes this year, maybe in a box. It's encouraging to know they can grow in bags--I hope that means they're easy to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinterest is pretty much electronic crack, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree...PInterest is perfect for those of us who find great images that we want to refer to later for inspiration...but sheesh...who wants all those bookmarks! Glad you're enjoying it too...it's super fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a big fan of Pinterest you can follow me here http://pinterest.com/erickett/ you get some great ideas and info it keeps me sane! I grow potatoes in grow-sacks every year - the yields aren't particularly brilliant but every little helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just discovered Pinterest and signed up a few days ago. Since then, I have been going nuts with it, pinning my photos and everyone elses. Such fun. I followed you.

    Yael

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did we manage that?? :) Haha! Three cheers for Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you can get your hands on some coffee bean burlap sacks (try your local espresso shops) potatoes grow great in them, plus the sacks are compostable...

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!