Monday, February 27, 2012

First Seeds of 2012 Planted

It was quite an eventful weekend in the Bumble Lush garden. Saturday was beautiful, sunny, but extremely windy. And around mid-morning, we got about 1 minute of big, fat snow flurries in some kind of bizarre flash snow storm. It didn't stick or anything. Just further proof that this is one of the weirdest winters on record.

Sunday was gorgeous--blue skies, sunny and warm, and I decided it was a perfect day to start some lettuce and spinach in containers. (This weekend happens to coincide with recommended moon date planting. I wonder if it makes a difference in containers? Probably not.)

I couldn't help myself--I also bought some broccoli transplants. I was at the garden center yesterday getting peat moss and looking at seed packets, and I saw a few broccoli transplants for sale. Despite the fact that I have tons of broccoli seeds that I need to use, I just had to buy these little broccoli plants and put them in containers as soon as I got home.


Did you do any garden work over the weekend?

11 comments:

  1. I can't go to a garden centre without buying something. they are very dangerous places in my experience....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The transplants look happy in your containers. I put the first seeds of this year in garden yesterday too... I put some red bell pepper seeds to germinate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky to have a great weekend...min have been wet or cold or snowy so no work in the garden but my seedlings are being planted and I planted alyssum, viola and pansy from seed. Soon more annuals and veggies started indoors...nothing started outdoors yet...soon I hope

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little plants look very vulnerable I worry that it may be too early to put them out without some sort of cover (especially if you still having snow flurries).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice start to the veggie season. I love broccoli and always get the plants, not start them from seed. A little jump to the growing season. I have been planting spinach and lettuce in pots too, but last year did some in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am often tempted to get plants when I see them at the nursery vs. using seeds as well. I think it makes me feel as if I have a head start on things. This weather has been so confusing. I hope March brings a little more stability...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to have some plants started! It certainly has been a weird winter. We're getting normal February weather now, which is hard to take after mild January weather. But I suppose it's better for the plants. Have fun with your plantings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're doing better than me, I'm so far behind on seed starting! Don't worry, I often find a few stray seedlings following me home too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaah, it's all too tempting. vulnerable little plants in the garden centre but you do take them in at night don't you? Our weekend was mild with some sun so we've been out tidying up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Sounds like you are getting off to a great start! I have lots of seeds but now I just need to get out and plant some in my raised beds. I am turning one bed into an official hoop house so I'm going to start there but man o' man, I need to find some time in between kids activities to get into the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The weather last weekend was beautiful. I'm belated catching up on my blog reading. I did manage to get neem oil and dormant oil sprayed in the hope that I won't have any nasty bugs this year.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!