Sunday, March 24, 2013

SSFC: The Loaf Post


Local ingredients: meatloaf and bubble and squeak

This local food challenge post got lost in draft format back in January. I want to share my two favorite kinds of loafs (loaves??): meat and lemon. Meat loaf is the ultimate comfort food to me, and on a cold winter night, if I can't have a big bowl of soup, then I want meatloaf and mashed potatoes. We eat red meat maybe once a week, and I'm happy to have found Smith Family Farms in VA as my source of local beef. We've tried different cuts and have been pleased with the flavor of all of them.

Local ingredients: Bubble and Squeak cooking

Instead of mashed potatoes, I had this meat loaf dish with bubble and squeak (my version of it) made with potatoes (farmers' market), Swiss chard (farmers' market), bell peppers and onions (my garden, frozen). Click here for my recipe with seasonal ingredients.


Lemon blueberry loaf glazed
My other favorite loaf is lemon loaf. I am addicted to Starbucks lemon bread but I have to restrict myself on how many times a week I get it because it's very sweet (and expensive) but oh so good! When Meyer lemons were in season back in January I made a lemon loaf. It wasn't quite as sweet as the Starbucks kind, but it was pretty damn good! Especially with a hot cup of coffee.

I have one more week left of the SSFC now that winter is over. To see what others are eating this week, click on the badge.

6 comments:

  1. I love that lemon bread at Starbucks too....your posts always get me thinking and make me so hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm yum! The sight of the bubble and squeak has my tum all a rumbling!xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want the lemon loaf recipe! I love anything lemon. My house is a meatloaf-free zone but yours actually looked good. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love meatloaf, but I'm trying to cut down on red meat. I tried making it with ground turkey, but it was a little dry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire you so much, Angela, for accepting this challenge -- I'm sure I've told you that before. We are trying to eat locally here as much as possible, but I know we aren't as successful as you. Your lemon loaf sounds good. I make an orange pound cake that is very popular with my family. P. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM to both of your loafs. Mom helped me make some meatloaf to stash in the freezer for easy meals. We ate some of it - I will post about it next week I think. SO SO good. Your lemon loaf looks wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!