Monday, November 28, 2011

30 Day Thanksgiving Challenge - Days 17 - 18

I hope everyone had a relaxing, delicious, happy Thanksgiving! I avoided the madness of retail stores and spent a lot of time reading. Today I'm thankful for the excellent public library system where I live. I take the Metro to work and have a 30-45 minute commute each way. That gives me a lot of time to read. And I do it old school--actual books, no electronic readers for me. Not that I wouldn't mind one, but I stare at a computer screen all day, so it's nice to give my eyes a break.

I love a good mystery, but lately I've been reading a lot of historical fiction about English kings and queens (favorite authors include Philippa Gregory, Robin Maxwell, and Anne Easter Smith). I read non-fiction too--right now I'm working through a stack of books on gardening and food (pictured above).


{both photos via Mount Vernon website}

I'm also very thankful for modern conveniences. Over the holiday weekend we went to Mt. Vernon, George Washington's home. It's a great place for both history buffs and gardeners to visit because Washington was a farmer (you know, when he wasn't leading armies or running the country).  I'm so grateful for modern conveniences like electricity, indoor plumbing(!), refrigeration, washing machines, and coffee makers. I'm thankful I can garden because I want to, not because my family's livelihood depends on our harvest. If you're ever in the DC area, I recommend a trip into Alexandria to visit the Mt. Vernon estate. 

**********************************************************

What do you like to read? Leave me any recommendations in the comment section--I'm always looking for something new and interesting to read!


{I'm linking up with The Whimsical Gardener's 30 Day Challenge to post about something you're thankful for every day.}

4 comments:

  1. Mt Vernon is a great place but I was underwhelmed by their Christmas program. I also read actual paper/ink books instead of virtual ones. You might like Year of Wonders By Geraldine Brooks (hist. fiction) or Lets Not Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller (memoir). Both are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had no time for reading so nothing to add. I would really like to see Mt. Vernon. It is a place I have not been to ever before. The garden looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Casa Mariposa--thanks for the book suggestions! We didn't see the Christmas program, just did a day tour of the grounds and estate, and the only holiday-related things we saw were the Christmas camel and the Thanksgiving turkey that the President had pardoned. It was nice though.

    GWGT--Thanks! yes, it was nice. There wasn't a whole lot to see, though as a new-ish gardener I was interested in the technical aspects of his garden/farming techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to Mt Vernon frequently while growing up and I must say I miss all the great sightseeing of the DC area. It was a great place to spend a childhood! I especially remember the smell of Mt Vernon...all rich with cloves and nutmeg...yum!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!