Monday, November 21, 2011

Late November Harvests

I spent the weekend cleaning up our balcony container garden and took pictures of what's left. Our peppers are still going strong! Despite temperatures in the 40s, the plants look good and the peppers are ripening on the vine. We did bring all the plants in, though, and we'll probably give a couple of the plants away. 

We still have a few tomatillos on the vine, and we harvested the very last handful of green beans and literally, a handful of cherry tomatoes. So sad to see tomato season over with but thankful that it lasted this long.

4 comments:

  1. I'd be interested in knowing what you do with the tomatillos. Mine didn't ripen sufficiently to get a decent crop. They do need sun and warmth, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Janet--yes, tomatillos do need full sun. I'm lucky that my patio gets a lot of southern and western exposure. I think I'll make a salsa with them, and I've read that you can freeze them whole or sliced. I've never grown/stored them before. What do you with yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put them into chutney but I only had a few. I'm sure if you google then there will be lots of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bumble Lush, Your garden is the gift that just keeps on giving! I make a roasted tomatillo salsa.

    1.5 lb tomatillos, 2-3 cloves garlic both roasted. 1/2 cup white onion, 2 jalapeno peppers (seeded if don't want too hot), 1/2 cup cilantro, 1 T fresh lime juice, 1/8 tsp sugar, salt to taste.

    After roasting, add all to food processor and process until smooth.

    Great with chips but really good also baked on a pork roast.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!