Monday, November 14, 2011

30 Day Thanksgiving Challenge - Day 10

I'm thankful for quiet mornings when the only sound outside is water from the fish pond.

And I'm extremely thankful that our fish are still alive.

We had a scare over the weekend. Every fall we remove the UV filter so that the winter snow and ice don't damage it. We did that on Friday, but apparently something got knocked loose and all the water drained out of the pond. I didn't realize this until late Saturday afternoon when I happened to go outside. I saw a dry pond and the goldfish were all laying at the bottom, completely still. I didn't know how long they had been like that and figured they were dead. After screaming "Oh %$#!" more than a few times, I  started throwing buckets of water into the pond to refill it while my husband hooked up the garden hose and checked other settings. As the pond started filling with water, some of the fish started moving. By some miracle, THEY WERE ALL ALIVE! All five goldfish bounced back and started swimming around within minutes. We saw the biggest fish's mouth opening and closing rapidly, gasping for breath, poor thing. My husband added some chemicals to regulate the balance of the water, and we crossed our fingers that the stress of such a traumatic event wouldn't kill them either. On Sunday morning, the pond was still full of water (phew!) and all five fish were present and accounted for.  Maybe fish have nine lives too.

{I'm linking up with The Whimsical Gardener's 30 Day Challenge to post about something you're thankful for every day. All my posts related to this challenge are found under the giving thanks tag.}

2 comments:

  1. That would be a fright. Luck was with you and them on the timing. Grateful, I am sure all around,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! Those fish definitely have a guardian angel! I'm glad they are all ok. I'm thankful you were there when they needed you.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!